Since 1917, America has recognized the value of the charitable deduction, which has served as the bedrock of our altruistic society and is a model for the world. It must continue as a fundamental tenet of our tax system.
Towards that end, we will oppose any legislative proposals that inhibit or diminish private charitable giving, which includes speaking up for a strong charitable giving incentive during tax reform debates. To learn more about ACR’s guiding principles for tax reform, please click here.
To learn more about the charitable deduction, we recommend you watch the video below of a lively panel discussion at our 2015 ACR Summit for Leaders in which four specific arguments supporting the charitable deduction are presented.
Latest Developments | Take Action | Background/Research | Opinion | Quick Downloads
WASHINGTON, D.C.— Today, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) unveiled a blueprint that outlines a tax reform plan. It’s a mixed bag.
06/17/16 Hatch Extols Charitable Giving as Nonprofit Leaders Tell Congress to ‘Grow Charity Now’
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Alliance for Charitable Reform partnered with the Council on Foundations and Independent Sector to bring nonprofit leaders to Washington, D.C. on June 16 to meet with congressional offices about current legislation supporting charitable giving. The fly in/speak out day was dubbed “Grow Charity Now.”
04/21/16 ACR Responds to Editorial on Tax Reform, Charitable Deduction
The Charitable Giving Coalition (CGC) – a group of over 60 national nonprofit and foundation organizations, including ACR – will contact every officially declared candidate that is featured in major polls for the 2016 election for President of the United States urging them to support the full preservation of the charitable deduction.
» For more news on the charitable deduction click here: Charitable Deduction — News
- President Obama has proposed limiting the charitable deduction for high-income earners in several proposals over the past few years including his FY 2016 budget.
- House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp’s (R-MI) “Tax Reform Act of 2014” includes a 2% floor on the charitable deduction.
» For more proposals click here: Charitable Deduction — Proposals
Recent studies, reports and polling information on the impact of changes to the charitable deduction from a variety of sources.
- Tax Policy Center from the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution: Description and Analysis of the Camp Tax Reform Plan (2014)
- American Enterprise Institute: The Great Recession, Tax Policy, and the Future of Charity in America (2013)
- Tax Foundation: Economics of the Blank Slate: Case Study #11 Deduction for Charitable Contributions, (2013)
- United Way Worldwide: Americans Agree: Charitable Tax Deduction Vital to Nonprofits, Communities, and Donors, (2012)
- Urban Institute: Tax Policy and Charities: Evaluating the Charitable Deduction and Proposed Reforms, by Roger Colinvaux, Brian Galle, and Eugene Steuerle (2012)
- Dunham+Company: Three-fourths of Americans Favor Charitable Tax Deduction (2012)
» For more background click here: Charitable Deduction — Research
- 4/16/2015 Why the Death Tax Is All Economic Pain, No Gain, The Daily Signal
- 4/13/2015 Tax Season Good News: The Growth Of Donor-Advised Funds, Forbes
- 4/11/2015 In Our Opinion: Preserving America’s Spirit of Philanthropy, Deseret News
- 3/11/2015 Your Name on a Building and a Tax Break, Too, The New York Times
- 3/4/2015 Tax Benefits of Using Donor-Advised Funds for Charitable Giving, Forbes
- 2/18/2015 America Gives More – or Not?, Business in Savannah
- 2/11/2015 Obama Charity Tax Proposal: Hurting the Ones Who Love Him, Forbes
- 2/10/2015 Be Wise When Donating Online to Help Others, Detroit Free Press
- 2/04/2015 The 2016 Federal Budget: What Nonprofits Should Know, The Nonprofit Quarterly
- 2/2/2015 Obama Budget Proposal Revisits Tax Hikes At Top, Tackles ‘Middle Class Economics’, Forbes
- 1/8/2015 The Limits of Philanthropy, Commonweal
- 10/28/2014 Donor-Advised Funds Let Wall Street Steer Charitable Donations, The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- 10/13/2014 Larry Sly: Senate Must Include America Gives More Act in Tax Legislation, The Reporter
- 9/24/2014 Dark Money National Review Online
- 9/22/2014 Reclaiming The American Dream: There’s an Award for That. . ., Forbes
- 8/29/2014 Push the Senate to Pass the America Gives More Act, The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- 7/18/2014 Why the Obama White House Says “No” to the America Gives More Act, Nonprofit Quarterly
- 7/15/2014 Measuring Charity Effectiveness: Manage Your Mission, Not Your Rating, Huff Post Blog
- 7/7/2014 The IRS Challenges Tax Deductions for Facade Conservation Easements, HuffPost Blog
- 7/2/2014 ACR to Meet With Lawmakers on Camp Draft Part II, ACR
- 7/1/2014 ACR to Meet With Lawmakers on Camp Draft Part I , ACR
- 06/17/2014 Making A Difference: The World of Giving – US Charitable Giving Increases for the Fourth Year in a Row! HuffPost Impact
- 06/07/2014 Congress Versus Hobbit New York Times
- 04/28/2014 Camp Proposal to Create Seismic Negatives for Charities Wealth Management
- 04/28/2014 Camp Proposal and Charitable Giving Wealth Management
- 04/16/2014 Lesson For April 15: Why Government Can’t Replace Charity ACR
- 04/03/2014 The Charter School Performance Breakout ACR
- 04/02/2014 What do the Washington Monument and the charitable deduction have in common? ACR
- 03/30/2014 Obama’s taxing proposal on givingThe Christian Science Monitor
» For more opinions and thought click here: Charitable Deduction — What Others are Saying
Interested in getting involved with efforts to protect the charitable deduction?
Contact Sara Barba (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.